Saturday, September 18, 2010

e-Mooks!

At first you maybe asking yourself, "What is an e-mook??". To begin allow me to explain what a "mook" is, its a book and magazine hybrid. Here in Japan an e-mook is one of these book/magazine hybrids that includes a free gift. I love this idea of getting free gifts with my magazines, I only wish that I could read everything in the magazines I buy here! If only the US would pick up on this trend, perhaps it would save the magazine industry!

I bought my first e-mook the other day after browsing them in my local bookstore and might I add there are A LOT of them in the bookstore at the moment. The one that seemed to be the best value for my money and served my use was the one for the Kitson 2010 Autumn & Winter collection (980¥/$11.50USD). It includes a nice sized cosmetic pouch and a very soft tote bag. I was really in the market for the pouch as I wanted something I could bring a few items of makeup in that was a) water proof and b) fit in my bag without taking up too much space. I really like it so far, my only wish it that it came in other colors! I like pink, but a nice blue or turquoise would have been nice as well.


The Kitson e-mook set.


The mook/catalogue.


The free gifts.

5 comments:

  1. even though you can't read (all?) of it, it's still nice to look at the pictures in the e-mook right?


    e-mook.... the word is kind of strange... :S

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is definitely fun to look at! I can read the basics, just long articles are hard. This one was pretty easy since its got tons of pictures and I can piece together what is being written about. :)

    I agree, whenever I see it or read it I can't help but think ewok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite like emooks too! Its basically a catalogue with freebie lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your comment on if the U.S. would pick up on this trend. I would probably buy American magazines if they did. As it is, I pay high prices for the Japanese magazines but if it comes with a gift that I really like, then it's totally worth it. I've gotten so many compliments on my Milk Fed tote bag, mostly from Sales Associates in various stores and they all want to know where I got it from. LOL!

    I don't think that I've seen any e-mooks here, just the magazines but even that is only recently. I think that perhaps it's because I never knew before that there were gifts with some of the magazines.

    Your gift set that you got with this e-mook is really nice.

    *Kat*

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nic Nic - They definitely make looking at a catalogue more fun. Though I doubt I would ever buy any of the things from Kitson here, it was really overpriced before the USD went to around 85yen/1USD, now its just crazy.

    @Kat - seriously!! The US industry needs to take a page out of Japan and the UK's book on this one. If you ever want a e-mook or magazine from here without having to pay the import fees let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete