Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Exercise: Hot Yoga

Earlier this year a hot yoga studio opened up near my house and I was very curious to try it out as I had done bikram yoga once before when I lived in the states and really liked it. For whatever reason, I didn't get around try taking a trial lesson till 9/26, I think it may have been because when it was still extremely hot outside my desire to do yoga in a hot room was very low. However now I am doing hot yoga 3-4 times a week and I am really enjoying it. I will be the first to admit its not easy and you will sweat a lot, but the feeling you get afterwards is really nice. For those of you who are not familiar with what hot yoga or bikram yoga is, it involves doing the following 26 postures in the picture below twice in a room that is heated to 105F with about 40% humidity for a total of 90 minutes. For me this has proven to be an exercise that I enjoy and makes me feel good. In addition to this, one 90 minute session of this yoga burns up to 800 calories!



What is everyone else doing to keep in shape and lose some of those extra kilos/pounds/inches before the holidays?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks interesting. I'm so glad that you're enjoying it. As for me, I do need to lose some weight but I don't like to exercise and sweat. Plus I do need to be careful not to over exert myself. The funny thing is that I always gain weight during the summer when it's the hottest and I lose weight during the winter when it's a bit cooler--even with the holidays.

    BTW, do you want me to buy that magazine issue for you? Your poor fiance though. Imagines Brianna staring and drooling at Ryan Reynolds while poor fiance looks on with sad, puppy eyes.

    *Kat*

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've a;ways wanted to do yoga beyond my sitting room :p but the price and not having someone to go with me keeps me from attending these classes.

    i am trying to maintain my weight by eating moderately and walking a lot... no chance this week! i want to keep fit again from january though. the winter's here i just want to hibernate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops keep fit is such as chinese-english word, i mean get fit haha

    ReplyDelete