Thursday, November 11, 2010

Japan: Pocky and Pretz day!

Most people in the world have heard of Pocky or some other variation of it, but did you know there is an official day for Pocky?
Every year the people of Japan celebrate pocky and pretz day on 11/11, which is easy for me to remember as it is also my fiance's birthday. The first time we celebrated his birthday together there was a huge Pocky & Pretz event in Shinjuku and we got free Pocky and Pretz that day. This year as part of his birthday celebration we went to all of the convenience stores near our house and to two supermarkets and managed to round up all of the Pocky currently for sale in Japan! Here is our Haul! Thankfully we only oppsed once and bought one twice.



What are some of your favorite snacks?

Happy Pocky day!!
Here is one of my favorite Pocky commercials! Its a little old, but cute!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! I had no idea that there is a Pocky and Pretz Day! Sounds like you had a lot of fun running around trying to find as many different ones as you could find. Happy Belated Birthday to your fiance. Ooohhh, next year, his birthday will be a "good luck" day (11/11/11)! Pretty cool!

    *Kat*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be crazy about pocky hehe..

    ohh orgasm is a very popular shade but knowing me i have refused to buy it.. and when i want to.. something seems to stop me. mysterious! i am on "using" kick too!

    are you staying in japan for xmas? you must be excited with the engagement... are you guys doing a japanese wedding? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kat - Yes, sometimes we go on silly missions like this one. Thankfully this one was an inexpensive one. Oh wow, I hadn't noticed that next year it will be 11/11/11 for him. :)

    @Nic Nic - lol, having a fiance who is born on the day they decided to commemorate it on kinda means that once a year we go pocky crazy. Every other day of the year I kinda forget it exists.
    I don't blame you, I had gone to the counter a few times and tried it out before I actually decided to buy it. I like it, but I think there are better colors (like the ones in your post) out there. Go "using" power!!
    Yes, we will be here for xmas. It will be my 2nd one away from my family, I get a bit sad just thinking about it since xmas in Japan isn't really xmas. I am pretty happy thinking about wedding things even though we haven't decided anything yet. I would love to have a Japanese wedding, but I think we will get married in the sates since it is much cheaper than Japan.

    ReplyDelete