Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Japan: Thanksgiving in Japan

Being an expat you tend to miss a lot of things from your home country, in my case the USA. Aside from being able to buy things cheaper, I always miss the food. Sadly its not always the healthy food, for example I would LOVE something from Jack in the Box, Chick Fil-A, or Taco Bell right about now.

One of the biggest food holidays back home is Thanksgiving. Now imagine living in a country where turkey is hard to comeby and has to be special ordered. That is what it is like in Japan, but thanks to the internet I too have been able to celebrate Thanksgiving in various ways for the past 5 years.

This year we celebrated at our friends house as it is larger than ours. Here are some pics from our celebration.


Our baby turkey wasn't quite defrosted yet, so he took a bath/swim in the sink for about 30-45 minutes. If you are in the market for a baby turkey you can find one online at The Meat Guy.


Finally the baby turkey made it into the tiny oven!


While we waited we watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Thanks to the wonderful person who put it on bittorent so we could download it!


Is it done yet? The verdict was YES!


Our spread, minus the desserts which were in the fridge.


Everyone getting ready to eat!


I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! It's hard to believe it is almost December, I am so not ready for Christmas yet!

2 comments:

  1. Your meal looked very traditional and delicious! How big was the baby turkey? It looked like it was a decent size.

    I wonder where my son's friends get their turkey. They eat a traditional Thanksgiving meal every year and from what I understand, it's a big turkey. My son's apartment has no oven but his friend has use of a commercial oven somewhere.

    *Kat*

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was one of the best meals I have had this year! I hope xmas is just as good. It was 3.4kg which is about 7.5-8lbs. Not a giant turkey but enough to feed 6 and have leftovers.
    Your son is very lucky, to have friends that have that connection. My oven at home is just like my friends in the picture but older and maybe slightly bigger.

    ReplyDelete