Sunday, May 9, 2010

Japan Life: Date Day!

Yesterday was a rare day in the sense that my bf actually had a day off of work on a weekend, so we took advanatage of that and made it a "date day". Our original plan had been to go to Yoyogi park and check out the Jamaica festival, however went ended up going to many other places as well.


We decided to walk to Yoyogi park from Shibuya and on the way stopped at the newest addition to the "American fast food " invasion there. This past month a Sbarro was opened near Shibuya station. I think this is the first stand-alone Sbarro I have ever seen or been to, usually when I think of Sbarro, I think of it as "that pizza place in the food court at the mall". Since eating food (even fast food) from the states is pretty rare, we decided to have a slice. After seeing the menu I ordered the sausage and cheese stromboli and my bf had the NYC style pizza. I have to say both tasted great and for the price you can't beat! I definitely see us going back there every once in a while to get that "American" taste fix.

After we finished our Sbarro we were on our way to Yoyogi park, it took us about 30 minutes to walk there from Shibuya. The weather yesterday was beautiful and not too hot and humid, so it was a nice stroll. Once we arrived at Yoyogi park, we checked out the Jamaican festival. Having been to various other festivals in Yoyogi and other parks throughout Japan, I have to say this one was not-so-good. Now, I have never been to Jamaica but this festival would one to believe it is a country filled with lots of Thai food and clothing as well as many hippies! I do have a Jamaican friend who lives in London and well she is none of those things, so I would guess to say that this was a VERY Japanesey take on Jamaica. They did have about 3 food stalls that sold jerk chicken, but each of them had a line that was about an hour long so we decided to pass on it. Both my bf I left the Jamaica festival feeling rather letdown.





From the Jamaica festival we walked through the other side of Yoyogi park and people watched on our way to Harajuku and Omotesando. I finally got to see the famed rockabillies in Yoyogi park. It was like a throwback to the 1950's USA. Really cool to see! We also went to Meiji Jingu shrine, its beautiful!

We walked through Harajuku and then stopped at the MAC store in Omotesando Hills. I have to say as much as I have come to really like MAC cosmetics, I really dislike how MAC is represented here in Japan. Generally most of the staff at the counters are rude and don't even approach customers, which always makes me not even want to buy anything. Yesterday was no exception to this. I did however get to swatch the new coral paintpot and am glad I ordered it online. In additon to this the price and availability of certain items is awful here in Japan. I understand that releases will be pushed back, but to charge customers double the price and not make pan form/pallets available is a bit insane. Oh well just gives me something to look forward to once I move back to the US.

After my disappointing trip to MAC we walked to Aoyama and decided to take a coffee break. We hit up a nearby Starbucks and rested for a bit. It was then that I realized that there was a crocs store in that area that I wanted to go to. I have to say as much as I am not fond of crocs, in a country where finding a size 9 shoe is nearlly impossible crocs tend to be available. So after our coffeebreak we went to the crocs store where I bought a new pair of crocs in the black wedge style.
Finally it was dinner time so we went to a place on the 8th floor of the Tsutaya building in Shibuya called "Shibuya Dining", it was more of a classy izakaiya. We had a nice dinner and a few drinks. After dinner we got back on the train from Shibuya and headed back towards Yokohama. Yesterday was definitely a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment