Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Japan: Autumn drinks!

One of the more notable signs that fall has officially arrived in Japan, is when the convenice stores start to sell the fall flavored drinks. They actually started selling one of my favorite drinks a few weeks ago at the beginning of October. My favorite drink which is limited to the fall/winter season in Japan is called "Choco Banana Au Lait", which is basically chocolate milk with some banana flavoring.
Each year the company that makes this drink changes the pictures on the packaging, but thankfully its always yellow and brown so its a joy for me to spot!



Another drink that is a sign that fall is here is the newest flavor of pepsi. Last year they came out with Azuki flaovred pepsi, this years fall flavor is Mont Blanc. For those not familiar with what Mont Blanc is, its a French dessert made with chesnuts that is really popular in Japan. Last night I had the chance to try this new flavor as my BF brought a bottle home with him. I wish I could say I liked it, but like most of the other "unique" pepsi flavors I am not too keen on it. The carbonation is a bit overpowering and it tastes more like coffe than chesnuts to me. A friend of mine mentioned it may taste better flat, so I think I may take my bottle out of the fridge and let it sit out for a while.




What are some signs of fall for you? What are some interesting drinks you have been drinking?

4 comments:

  1. The Choco Banana Au Lait sounds yummy! As far as the flavored Pepsi, I'm not sure I would enjoy them either. (Plus, I'm a Coke person.)

    Not drinking anything special. Actually, there really isn't any special drinks here in Hawaii. I guess that it's because the weather is kind of constant year round. There are seasonal drinks at Starbucks.

    *Kat*

    ReplyDelete
  2. i found that everything is either chesnuts or pumpkin flavour for seasonal food in japan haha. I really like marron flavoured kitkats right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The チョコバナナオレ (I was too lazy to type in English!) sounds yummy, but I'm not too keen on the seasonal Pepsis! Nicola is right, everything is chestnuts/pumpkin/sweet potato right now!

    AHHH Lush sale in Japan???? I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kat - Starbucks in the US has the pumpkin lattes now, don't they?
    I am more of a coke person too, I just can't resist trying all of the new drinks here once. They are like kit kats in that way.

    @Nic Nic - I have to find those! Tonight I found Cheese flavored ones but I didn't buy them instead I picked up some kuromitsu and kinako country mam cookies. Very true about teh seasonal flavors of Japan.

    @K - lol, yeah the pepsi was gross...I still haven't finished it and its been days since I opened it. I doubt I will, my coworker from SF loves the stuff though. He has drunk at least 3 of them in this past week alone!
    I should rephrase, Lush is now selling the xmas goods. I picked up a few of the bath items the other day I will write about them soon. Do they have Lush in China?

    ReplyDelete