Monday, June 7, 2010

Haircare: How often do you wash your hair?

As most women in the world, when it comes to hair I want something I dont naturally have.
When I was very young my mom had my hair permed a few times and I thought back then it was awful.
Then when I reached high school age I started highlighting my hair. By college I was experimenting with more color with my friends, everyone wanted to look like rogue at one point right?
After all of that hair experimentation, I grew my hair out and let it return to its natural color. That took about a year and a half, it also helped that I cut it pretty short to make the time go by faster.
Just before I moved to Japan in 2005 I decided to have some professional highlights put in my hair again and have been doing that off an on since. In addition to that in 2007 I started getting annual Japanese straight perms to help control the frizzy mess my hair generally becomes in the summer.
So as you can see my hair has been through ALOT! Through all of this I washed my hair on a daily basis, though I have noticed that most people don't wash their hair every day especially if it has been color processed.

This brings me to my question, how often do you wash your hair?
And if you don't wash it daily, how do you deal with the oil that builds up after a few days?
I just started to wash it every 2-3 days and have tried using baby powder to combat the oil...though I am not sure it works that well.
Any help or suggestions would be great!

4 comments:

  1. I wash my hair only three times a week and when it feels oily in between I use Psssssst spray dry shampoo although there are lots of brands of that. I think it keeps my hair healthier to wash it less and I also have highlights and they last so much longer this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I have heard about various dry shampoos, but I haven't seen any for sale here yet. I am not sure the idea is liked by the Japanese. My boyfriend went a little crazy when I told him I didn't plan to wash my hair for a couple of days. :) THough I went for 3 days and washed it last night and it felt great. I am hoping to keep my color lasting longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you find dry shampoos in Japan, please let me know! Most Japanese people seem to wash their hair everyday. American shampoo is so harsh for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find if I wash my hair daily, it will get greasier. Thats why I tend to wash it every other day. Sometimes if I'm uber lazy, I'll leave it for another day. hehe
    My hair is naturally on the greasy side anyway. It seems to get less and less greasy as i grow older though xDD
    I've dyed it 3 times, annually, as people say it will make your hair 'dryer' and less greasy. I didn't really notice much difference. LOL
    I've been using the shiseido tsubaki shining shampoo for a while; shampoo the roots, and condition the ends if i have time. I feel this has helped combat the greasy-ness of my hair. It doesn't feel or look greasy on the second day like it did before. Yayy!!

    If i'm running late or v.busy and my hair is greasy, i'll spray on some Batiste Dry Shampoo on my roots and it instantly makes it feel and look fresh. Theres different types as well. Definitely recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete